Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Experimentation with Rosemary, Eggshells and Citrus for Skin Care and Cosmetics



Sharing my research and hard work to help you with your own. Everywhere you look online for tips, recipes and instructions, they make it sound so easy and sound like that it works. Either they're not telling the whole process or they're just regurgitating what they have read elsewhere because these "oh it's so easy to make your own cosmetics and bath care" instructions are just not----that easy. They can be done but there is trial and error, finding, making or collecting the proper ingredients or substitutions if necessary. It takes some elbow grease and a good dose of patience, 

Researching eggshells in cosmetics this morning as I have an endless supply. They help wrinkles, strengthen nails and soften hands so if I can get them powdered (which is a problem with everything right now), I can use them. I found a piece on making face powder with eggshells. They are full of calcium and calcium is a mineral so if I can get it powdered then I can technically use it for mineral makeup.

I am now offering samples of my brown sugar scrub in my Etsy shop until I get the jars and labels for the full size products.

Have spent the day trying to powder eggshells, rosemary and drying more citrus and the pumpkin innards. Since I blew my microwave the other day and it takes to long in the oven, I am sun-drying them. I gave up on sun-drying the pumpkin for pumpkin powder, too much too long and I only have one tray. It had bleached out to white so it holds no color in the sun, I tossed it and will probably just use the rest for pies and bread,

Having been only using my brown sugar scrub, this morning I went back to the rosemary that I had made. I did not like it; it was messy, the herbs pieces too big and it had lost its scent. That’s why I tried to powder the rosemary all afternoon but could not get it down. I also tried fresh rosemary as the original recipe actually called for but it did not work and those pieces would also be too big and messy in the sink. Now I am going for just regular already powdered or flaked rosemary from the spice section.

Now decided to try  my husband’s suggestion on the citrus peels and this time I grated half and then ground half in the processor which worked great. I am now drying them after the fact. It is not small enough for powder (though with this method I may be able to get it smaller) but it is plenty small enough for scrubs and masks and that is my focus right now. So I am happy with that and made some headway.

The eggshell finally came to a pretty fine powder with a lot of muscle using the pestle and mortar by hand after grinding in the processor to as fine as I could get it. This hand method worked well. I kept sifting out the powder then regrinding. It is a lot of work for a small bit. I would have to test it in with some corn starch to see how it would apply.  I have sterilized more egg shells and have them drying.


Will try the store bought rosemary powder/flakes after dinner. What little rosemary powder I did get, I made a test batch, nice I think and as a bonus because it was powder, it turned the scrub green, the other did not because my pieces were too big. No store bought powder or flakes, everything there was the same as what I already have.So back to the drawing board with the rosemary.

Until next time.


Tags: how-to, herbs, homemade cosmetics, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...